social media campaign

A social media campaign is a coordinated marketing effort to achieve a business goal using one or more social media platforms.

The majority of social media campaigns are focused toward achieving one single business goal. These could include building email lists, increasing website traffic, driving sales etc.

In order to track the success of a campaign, it is important to have a ‘baseline’ measure of your current metrics so you can see the effectiveness of your campaign, and a means in place to track the changes. There is a whole host of free tools such as HootSuite and Social Mention that you can use. For a more comprehensive list of useful tools check out ‘8 Awesome Tools for Social Media Management‘.

 

Step 1 – Targeting

It’s important to analyse your followers on your existing networks. By understanding where your target audience is, you can tailor your campaign to the correct network and users. Once you have this information you can start to generate ideas and content that you will use to achieve your goals.

 

Step 2 – Ideas for Content

It’s always a good idea to look for what others in your industry or niche are sharing and you can utilise social media listening to see what is being mentioned and find a way to exploit a unique approach.
Industry leaders are a good source of social media inspiration. Some of the giants do an incredible job with their social media marketing such as Starbucks, Red Bull and KLM Airlines.

 

Step 3 – Stick to the Plan

In order to keep your social media campaign on track, you should be using a content marketing plan and a social media calendar.
The marketing plan should comprise of the type of content you intend to use, the target audience, how often to post and how the content will be created.
The calendar details the dates and times to publish the content and should be based on insights to take advantage of the optimal time when your users’ are most likely to see the content.

Remember to implement the ‘Pareto principle’, better known as the 80/20 rule. 80 percent of your posts should either educate, inform or entertain your audience, and the other 20 percent should directly promote your brand.

 

Step 4 – Test and Adjust

Finally, test, retest and adjust the plan as needed. Constant testing is required to gauge how well the campaign is progressing. Great ways to test your actions on social media are:-
– track the number of clicks on your links per platform using URL shorteners (such as bit.ly)
– use a tool such as Hootsuite or Buffer and study the analytics to track success and engagement
– Track page visits using Google Analytics

As you analyse your findings you can adjust your plan to suit. Measuring the effectiveness gives a valuable insight into the success of your campaign and on what changes might increase that success.

Helping heart-centred businesses achieve more with their Social media. IDM certified social media professional. Contributor @socialmedia2day